- Ensure You Have a Backup
Don’t wait until the day before a hurricane to back up your files! It’s a good practice to frequently back up your data files to an external drive or memory key to prevent loss of data, as well as to store it in a secure, safe place. Print a copy of your important/emergency contacts and take them with you in the event that you do not have access to them from your phone or computer, you’ll have them available to use via a landline.
- If you hold the physical installation media to non-enterprise wide software purchased through your department, consider making a copy of it, if you are licensed to do so. Sherlock Services does not keep copies of unique software.
- Secure Your Equipment
- Computers/Storage Systems:
- Shutdown the operating system.
- If connected to a surge protector or UPS – unplug the surge protector or UPS from the wall outlet (or unplug power cables from the surge protector or UPS if wall outlet not accessible).
- If no surge protector – unplug the power cables from the wall outlet (or back of the equipment if the wall outlet is not accessible).
- Unplug Ethernet cable from the back of the equipment.
- Power off the printer.
- If connected to a surge protector – unplug the surge protector from the wall outlet (or unplug the power cable from the surge protector if wall outlet not accessible).
- If no surge protector – unplug the power cable from the wall outlet (or back of the printer if the wall outlet is not accessible).
- Unplug the Ethernet cable from the back of the printer.
- Unplug phone cable from the back of the printer (if fax line connected).
- Network Services
Sherlock Services will keep all mission-critical systems in service as long as possible. However, certain services might need to be brought off-line and/or shut down before the storm hits. This is necessary to ensure that equipment and services are safe from the effects of the storm.
After The Storm
Sherlock Services will work as quickly as the circumstances permit to restore network connectivity and services throughout the environment. As you reconnect your office equipment make sure to reconnect them to your surge protector or UPS as they were before. Expect power surges, brownouts, and fluctuations for at least several days or longer after power has been restored. All the effort you went through in preparation may be lost if you take a hit after the storm.
For additional assistance, please contact Sherlock Services at 866-827-6804